5 great kitchen hacks to reduce food waste
Did you know that roughly one third of the food produced in the world for human consumption every year gets lost or wasted? In total, that comes to approximately 1.3 billion tonnes of food, a truly staggering amount. Fruits and vegetables have the highest wastage rates of any food, but here are five tricks and tips from those in the know at Goma Greens. Read on to find out how to best store and use your veggies to prolong taste and freshness and also to avoid throwing out what could have been used for creative cooking.
1. Instead of discarding the green tops of carrots, beets and radishes, use them in stir-fries, pestos or even as stand-alone sides. You can also do the same with celery. Trim the leafy tops off your celery to keep them fresher but save those leaves for a tasty soup or salad add-in.
2. Before your herbs go bad, chop them up, and mix them with butter or olive oil. Place the mixture in ice cube trays, and once they’re frozen, place them in a freezer bag. Use them to sauté onions, season popcorn or steamed veggies, or defrost to spread on toast.
3. Break romaine lettuce or similar greens into well-washed and dried leaves, and store them in a bag or sealable container wrapped in a dry paper towel to suck up lettuce-killing moisture. Replace the paper towel as needed.
4. Store apples and potatoes together to prevent the latter from sprouting.
5. Herbs, green onions and asparagus all benefit from being stored root- or stem-end down in water. Cover the exposed ends if necessary, and store in the fridge.
At Goma Greens we do our best to minimize food waste. We have very little storage and waste, as we do not buy (much more) than we sell. We have an agreement with the farmers that we place the order the week before we need it, when we have a good overview of how many customers we will have the following week. With each box, all Goma Greens’ customers will receive a printed version of Goma Greens’ how to store your veggies guide. It is easy to put up on the fridge or on the family’s noticeboard.
Goma Greens wants to make it easy for you to eat healthy by delivering weekly veggie boxes and recipes to your doorstep. In a hectic daily life, flexibility and convenience can make the difference when you want to make healthy choices. Goma Greens works with local farmers from all over China, which are selected and trusted, to provide fresh, seasonal and healthy products. Many of the small farmers farm according to organic principles which is also why 10% of the earnings are given back to the local communities to projects that can inspire organic farming.
Want to try a box? Use promo code “SHMAMA”when you sign up and get a 50% discount on your first box!